Guides, Handbooks, Brochures
- Fair Housing Training Guidebook (2021)
A comprehensive guidebook designed for use in conjunction with FHJC-authorized fair housing trainings
- Protected Classes Chart (2021)
Protected characteristics under federal, state, and local laws within FHJC’s service area
- Prohibited Conduct Chart (2021)
Actions, statements, and other conduct prohibited under fair housing laws.
- FHJC Rental Search Log (2020) English | Español
A convenient way for renters to take notes about apartments that they inquire about.
- Tips for Home Seekers with Rental Subsidies (2020) English | Español
Advice on interacting with landlords and others when using program vouchers in rental payments.
- Fair Housing Guide (2019)
A resource for professionals who provide housing counseling, search assistance, and other services to people seeking to rent or purchase housing.
- Fair Housing Laws Factsheet (2019)
An overview of protected classes, prohibited conduct, and available remedies under fair housing laws.
- Fair Housing Toolkit (2018)
An educational tool created by the FHJC that describes our nation’s history of segregation, current fair housing issues, and fair housing rights. The toolkit also identifies ways to become more involved in promoting fair housing. Available in English, Mandarin, and Spanish.
- Fair Housing and Advertising Fact Sheet (2018)
Definitions, explanations, and guidelines to ensure responsible, nondiscriminatory advertising for housing.
- Guide to Auxiliary Aids and Services (2017)
A complete list of translation services, devices, and practices legally required to be provided for deaf and hard of hearing persons living in nursing homes or assisted living facilities. Produced in conjunction with the National Association for the Deaf.
- FHJC Brochure (2017) English | Español
An overview of FHJC’s mission, programs, activities, history, and impact.
- Fair Housing Justice Center: Fact Sheet (2016)
Frequently asked questions about the FHJC.
- “Ending Racism in Residential Real Estate” (2020)
The first in a series of short policy papers aimed at addressing the issue of systemic racism in the real estate industry.
- FHJC Justice for Black Lives Statement (2020)
- “Choice Constrained, Segregation Maintained: Using Federal Tax Credits to Provide Affordable Housing” (2013)
A report on the distribution of low income housing tax credits in the New York City Region.
- “Fair Housing Cases Show Breadth of Discrimination Laws” (2013)
A New York Law Journal article by FHJC Board member Robert A. Martin.
- “Racial Discrimination in Housing: Underestimated and Overlooked” (2013)
A response to HUD’s report on the results of a national Housing Discrimination Study
- “Creating Places Where All Are Welcome” (2012)
A progress report on the fight to end housing discrimination.
- “A Test of Our Fairness” (2009)
FHJC founder Fred Freiberg’s keynote address to the 2008 Fair Housing Testing Conference, published by the American Bar Association.
- No License to Discriminate: Real Estate Advertising, Source of Income Discrimination, and Homelessness in New York City (2008)
A report examining the activities of real estate licensees who are legally required to advertise without regard to lawful source of income in New York City.
- Living in Mixed-Income Housing: Profiles and Future Directions (2008)
A snapshot view of tenant households, incomes, and services in four mixed-income housing sites.
- Increasing Access to Low-Poverty Areas by Creating Mixed-Income Housing, June 2007
An examination of the opportunities and challenges associated with mixed-income rental housing in low-poverty areas